Published: 2021-01-24 - Updated: 2021-03-03
Porch Additions Near Me: 5 Incredible Tips For A Successful Porch Additions Project
Are you looking for porch additions near me? We've got you on board. Even though our summers are short and sizzling, drastic weather changes can limit the time you can enjoy outdoor stays. Therefore, adding a porch to your house could be a perfect way to optimize your days of summer.
Porches provide personalized space for enjoying that evening breeze while relaxing after work. Besides that, porch additions can be a perfect place to relax and watch your children play while waiting for dinner. If you're contemplating on adding a porch to your house and unsure of where to begin, we've come for your help.
Ready to get started? There we go!
Below are 5 incredible tips for a fantastic porch:
- Take your time to consolidate your ideas into a list
Before anything else is done, you should think about how you would want to use the patio and note down all the features you need for an optimum user experience. To get the best out of your project, try to answer the following questions.
- What's the purpose of you're your porch? Would you want to use it for entertainment, relaxing, dining, or shelter for rain, and all the mentioned activities?
- Will you enclose or screen the porch?
- Will heating be necessary?
- How much seating space would you need to accommodate your family and perhaps your guests? While answering this, consider built-in seating and outdoor furniture to make your porch additions space more functional.
- What's your choice of furnishing for the porch? Would you be adding a table for playing cards or dining?
- Would you want to use electronics such as TVs or audio systems on your porch? If so, then you should also plan for electrical wiring extensions for the electronics.
- Would you need a storage area or shelving?
- Do you want your porch to include a bar? If so, it means you'll have to include additional storage, a sink, and additional seating.
- Will you include a ceiling fan?
- What lighting types would you want for your porch?
After compiling your porch features into a list, set priority by striking a clear difference between the 'must-haves' and nice-to-have features and items. The must-have is the essentials of your project (needs) that would render your project complete without them.
On the other hand, the 'nice-to-have' items are also known as wants. They are the items that are nice to have or luxury items that add meaning to your potch additions but contingent on a pre-set budget.
Having all that you want for your porch in a detailed list is helpful when discussing your project with your outdoor home remodeling contractor and will help your set realistic expectations based on your budget.
Pro-tip takeaway: Consider your porch's available space when designing the layout to make it a perfect fit for your home.
- Determine the location of your porch and your preferred layout
Typically, you can be located in front of your house (front porch), at the rear side of your house (back porch), or wrap around your home. When choosing a suitable site for your porch, consider sun exposure, privacy, and the view.
If you're planning to add a front porch, it would be great to integrate the porch additions with the architectural style and façade that complements your house exterior. Also, ensure the roof of your porch blends seamlessly with the architectural design of your house exterior.
Pro-tip takeaway: The location of your porch will be dictated by the purpose of the porch and how you're planning to use it.
- Collect multiple porch ideas for reference
Images can give a precise idea of what you'd want your porch to look like. If you're planning for a front porch, you can have it as a screened room-sized addition or a covered entryway with built-in benches or roofed. If it's a screened room-size addition, you can use it for many activities—ranging from dining, entertaining your guests, to watching television.
Therefore, to show your contractor what you want your porch to look-like, you can cut images from magazines or take a snap of an impressive porch from your neighborhood. You can then discuss your project with your contractor, with the photos being your reference.
Pro-tip takeaway: organize our reference images into an album to give your contractor a precise idea of what the project will be like.
- Seek help from a reputable design-build contractor
Have you ever watched home improvement shows and seen how they make the process seem pretty simple? Well, that would better work in a dream. But, in reality, building porch additions could be complicated, requiring building specifications and permits.
In addition to that, you will also need to work on structural and architectural aspects such as bringing up a proper foundation for the porch, integrating rooflines, and working on appropriate drainage. Besides that, you will need to get the right materials for your porch.
When all these issues come into play, you need an expert to handle your project securely and professionally to avoid costly porch problems. And that's where we come in handy. At Smart Remodeling LLC, we design meticulous porch additions that march your lifestyle and décor.
Pro-tip takeaway: Seek help from a well-established design-build contractor or company with at least 10 years of experience in the industry.
- Consider your product choice for your porch additions
Before searching for porch additions near me, you're likely to be having a material preference for your project. Therefore, discuss the material options available;e for your project with your contractor and choose the best—from flooring, posts, roofing, ceilings, trims, sidings, doors, windows, screens, privacy screens, ventilation and fans, lights and electricals, paints, and finishes, skylights, to landscape.
Pro-tip takeaway: Planning helps to set a budget based on your material choices.
Start Your Porch Additions Today
Are you looking for porch additions near me and unsure of where to begin?
Schedule for a FREE consultation today and get FREE cost estimates to get you started with your budgeting.